from Carole Maynard 2012 1-1/2 cups (7 ounces.) coarsely chopped pecans 2 cups flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup butter 3/4 cup packed brown sugar 1/4 cup sugar 1 large egg, at room temperature 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla 1 cup toffee pieces 1. Roast the 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans in 350° oven for 15 minutes 2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside 3. In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugars until smooth, about 2 minutes 4. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. 5. Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly 6. Stir in roasted pecans and toffee 7. Use the small scoop and place on ungreased cookie sheets 8. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and then move to a wire cooling rack Yield: 48
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Saturday, December 8, 2012
This morning we had the RS Kris Kringle Mingle and it was a lovely morning and then they served lunch. I usually shy away from chili but I think I will be making this for us.
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)
- 1/8 cup good olive oil, plus extra for chicken
- 1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for chicken
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 4 split chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped onions, corn chips, grated cheddar, sour cream
Cook the onions in the oil over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt. Cook for 1 minute. Crush the tomatoes by hand or in batches in a food processor fitted with a steel blade (pulse 6 to 8 times). Add to the pot with the basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked. Let cool slightly. Separate the meat from the bones and skin and cut it into 3/4-inch chunks. Add to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes. Serve with the toppings, or refrigerate and reheat gently before serving.