1 cup shortening (I used butter flavored)
2 Tbsp. yeast dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 cups mashed potatoes (she recommends making them from instant potatoes)
4 cups luke warm milk
5 pounds of flour (about 10 cups)
(MY ADDITION....2 T. DOUGH ENHANCER....MAKES AN EVEN BETTER DOUGH/DOUGHNUT...
Scald milk with shortening, add salt, sugar and enough flour to the batter about the consistency of cake batter. Add the potatoes, beaten eggs and dissolved yeast, extract, dough enhancer and enough flour to make a soft dough. Let raise twice and roll out flat. Cut into donut shapes. Let raise until light and fluffy (about fifteen more minutes.) Cook in hot oil (375°), turning as they become golden brown. Glaze or frost or dip in cinnamon sugar, plain sugar or powdered sugar. Enjoy!
A few tips:
- each batch makes about 60ish doughnuts
- we doubled the batch last night and used one gallon of Wesson Oil
- from the rolling out to eating point, it took one hour
- don't forget to cook the doughnut holes, toss them into a zip-lock bag of sugar and shake.
- Store them tightly once completely cooled
- Share some with a neighbor or friend!